ANZIGA members have unique expertise and experience in the production, transportation, storage and application of hydrogen. They are therefore well placed to be a major partner in the mission to a greener energy source and a cleaner future.
Hydrogen is a major industrial gas not only used as a green power source but is utilised across a range of industries. Hydrogen is widely used in the production of bulk chemicals, intermediates and speciality chemicals.
Some uses of hydrogen are:
- Component in welding mixtures
- Metal cutting
- Hydrogenation process for the production of margarine
- Hydrodesulphurisation of fuel
- Due to its small molecules, it is ideal for leak detection when used alongside hydrogen detectors
- Prevents metal oxidation during heat treatment
- Due to its low viscosity and high thermal conductivity, it is extensively used as a coolant gas in power generators
- Fuel cells, eg for fuel cell electric vehicles
- Lifting weather balloons to high altitude
- Hydrogen is 14 times lighter than air and therefore dissipates rapidly when released or leaked in open air, but it is not toxic.
- Hydrogen has a wide range of flammable concentrations in air and lower ignition energy than natural gas or gasoline. It can ignite very easily.
Engineering safe hydrogen systems requires special expertise.
ANZIGA Information Resources
- Environmental Impacts of Hydrogen Plants
- Gaseous Hydrogen Installations
- Hydrogen Cylinders and Transport Vessels
- Hydrogen Pipeline Systems
- Hydrogen Vent Systems for Customers Applications
- Best Available Techniques for Hydrogen Production by Steam Methane Reforming